Eighteen Australian defence innovators, including four Young Innovators, have been shortlisted for the Land Forces 2018 Industry Innovation Awards from a record 31 entries.
Shortlisted entries cover the spectrum of defence capability, from Skyborne Technologies' Cerberus armed UAV to Boeing’s Currawong Battlespace Management System, DST Group’s Black Canary toxic threat warning system and Greyscan Limited’s explosive trace detector.
The six award categories are the National Innovation Award, the SME Innovation Grant, the Young Innovator Scholarship, the Innovation Award for Combat Equipment and Mobility, the Innovation Award for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) and Cyber, and the Innovation Award for Autonomous and Unmanned Systems. The winners will be announced at Land Forces 2018 on 5 September.
Land Forces 2018 CEO Ian Honnery said the record number of entries was encouraging for industry.
“This record number of entries reflects recent greater focus on Australian innovation from industry, Defence and government,” Mr Honnery said.
“New policies and systems are now ensuring that more great Australian research and development is seeing the light of day as tangible products and services, which helps ensure the future of our defence industry.”
The full shortlist is as follows:
- Blue Zone Group (NSW) – Z‐Boat Marine ISR platform for Army
- Boeing Defence Australia Limited (QLD) ‐ Currawong Battlespace Management System
- Cogito Group Pty Limited (ACT) ‐ Jellyfish cyber security system
- DMTC Limited (VIC) ‐ Nplex MCM diagnosis system
- DroneShield Limited (NSW) ‐ DroneGun Tactical
- DST Group (ACT) ‐ Black Canary toxic threat warning system
- GaardTech (QLD) ‐ 3D TARGETS systems
- GreyScan Pty Limited (VIC) ‐ GreyScan ETD‐100 Explosive Trace Detector
- Intelligent Security Integration Australia Pty Limited (VIC) ‐ Rapid Scout surveillance system
- JAR Aerospace Pty Limited (NSW) ‐ IRIS UAV system
- L3 Micreo Pty Limited (QLD) ‐ Silvershield EW system
- ONETIDE Modular Systems (WA) – Mobile Microgrid
- Skyborne Technologies (QLD) ‐ Cerberus armed UAS
- Titomic Limited (VIC) – Ruggedised TUAV
The Young Innovator award shortlist:
- Angus Bean, Droneshield Limited
- Steve Linforth, University of Melbourne
- Taylor Thomas, JAR Aerospace
- Joshua Wilson, Skyborne Technologies
All award winners will receive a trophy, while the winners of the SME Innovation Grant and the Young Innovator Scholarship will receive cheques for $15,000 each. All 18 Australian innovators shortlisted for the Innovation Awards will be featured at Land Forces 2018 in a dedicated showcase.