Australian Defence Magazine has partnered with the Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group (CASG) to bring back the Essington Lewis Awards in 2017.
The Essington Lewis Awards are designed to recognise excellence in the degree to which industry and CASG have worked together in a spirit of collaboration to overcome challenges or problems – ensuring that the ADF has or will have the materiel it needs, when it needs it, and at a cost that represents value for money.
There are two perpetual trophies named in honour of Mr Essington Lewis, the industrialist and wartime director of munitions during WWII.
Trophies and certificates will be awarded at a gala dinner in Canberra on the 13th June 2017 the day before the D+I Conference.
The finalists this year range across the five categories:
a. Major acquisition - Over $50 million
b. Minor acquisition - Under $50 million
c. Major sustainment activity - Over $20 million/year
d. Minor sustainment activity - Under $20 million/year
e. Support/services (e.g. assistance to CASG reform, CASGSS / above the line support, or could be corporate support services etc).
The finalists are:
- Land 121 Phase 3A - Lightweight / Light Capability from the CASG program office and Mercedes Benz Australia Pacific
- JDAM enhancement from CASG’s Aerospace Explosive Ordnance - Acquisition Management Unit with Ferra Engineering
- C-130J Link 16 enhancements from CASG’s C-130J LMU Capability Enhancement Project Liaison Officer and Airbus
- Air Force Minor 0972 - Deployable Catering Capability from Air Force and Global Defence Solutions
- Air Combat & Electronic Attack Enterprise from Air Combat Electronic Attack Systems Program Office and Jacobs, Boeing, Raytheon and GE
- FFG Enterprise from the FFG System Program Office and BAE Systems/Thales Australia
- Remediation of on shore power and high voltage issues for LHD Platforms from LHD Systems Program Office and KBR
- Land 907-1 Tank Replacement Project from CASG’s Tank program and TAE
- The Future Through Collaboration (TFTC) from CASG’s Capacity Management & Professionalization Division and TFTC