The Avalon 2019 Innovation Awards and Pitchfest prizes were presented on Wednesday 27 February in a ceremony at the Avalon 2019 Theatrette. The winners are:
- National Civil Innovation Award: InnovAero (WA)
- National Defence Innovation Award: Defence Innovations Pty Limited (VIC)
- Defence SME Innovation Grant ($15,000): Cryoclock (SA)
- Young Civil Innovator Award ($15,000): Graham Bell, Monash University & NextAero (VIC)
- Young Defence Innovator Award ($15,000): Jimmy Toton, RMIT University and DMTC Limited (VIC)
- Innovation Award for Space Operations and Technology: Inovor Technologies (SA)
- Innovation Award for Autonomous and Unmanned Systems and ISR: Cryoclock
- Innovation Award for Training: Toll Helicopters ACE Training Centre
- Innovation Award for Aeronautics and Counter-Drone Systems: InnovAero
Aerospace Australia Limited, organiser of Avalon International Air Show and Aerospace and Defence Exposition, created the Innovation Awards program to recognise the culture of innovation in the aviation industry.
Partnering with the awards, the Innovation Pitchfest is organised by the Defence Science Institute at the University of Melbourne and includes a number of emerging technologies and innovative ideas that aim to improve the wider aviation community.
The first Innovation Awards were presented six years ago at Avalon 2013 and since then some $350,000-worth of SME Innovation Grants and Young Innovator Awards have been presented.
Full details of all the winners and their respective winning entries plus a list of other highly commended entries can be found here.