Defence officials have announced the successful transfer of
all Defence health services from Defence to Medibank Health Solutions.
In June 2012, Defence signed a $1.3 billion contract with
Medibank Health Solutions to provide health care services to the Australian
This contract will deliver a comprehensive suite of five
health services to Australian Defence Force personnel.
Four of these services were transferred to Medibank Health
Solutions late last year:
- Pathology services, via a national provider network, which was transitioned in September last year;
- Imaging and radiology services, also through a national provider network, which was also transitioned in September last year;
- A Health Hotline Service, delivered through Medibank Health Solutions’ world class tele-health hotline service, which was transitioned in October last year; and
- On-base services, delivered through a national contracted health professional workforce, which was transitioned in November last year.
Today, the successful transfer of the fifth service,
off-base services provided through a national network of specialist and allied
health care providers, sees the full suite of off-base specialist, allied and
diagnostic health services available.
Since the transition of health services to Medibank Health Solutions commenced on 29 October 2012:
- 16,000 appointments for specialist services have been processed;
- 17,000 imaging and radiology procedures have been undertaken;
- 70,000 pathology tests have been conducted;
- 60,000 on-base contracted health professional services have been provided, and
- more than 4,500 calls have been answered by the MHS national health hotline service.
(Figures correct as at 31 January 2013)