A high-calibre group of speakers has been confirmed for this year’s Submarine Institute of Australia (SIA) conference, the 6th Submarine Science, Technology and Engineering Conference (SubSTEC6).
The conference, which has a theme “Home grown undersea technology: how can Australian academia and industry provide a capability edge?”, will take place in Adelaide from 8-10 November. It will also be streamed live online for delegates who are unable to attend in person.
The list of speakers at the conference includes:
- Hon Melissa Price MP, Minister for Defence Industry;
- Hon Brendan O’Connor MP, Shadow Minister for Defence;
- Commodore Tom Phillips RAN, Director General Submarines, Royal Australian Navy;
- Dr Cathy Foley AO PSM, Australia’s Chief Scientist;
- Mr John Chandler AM CSC CSM, Program Director, Lockheed Martin Australia; and
- Dr David Kershaw, Chief Science Engagement and Impact Division, Defence Science and Technology Group, Department of Defence.
“Despite the many challenges because of the coronavirus pandemic, the line-up of speakers for the 2021 SIA conference is as strong as ever,” said SIA Executive Director David Nicholls.
“Both the Government – through Minister Price – and the Opposition – through Shadow Minister O’Connor – are set to provide more perspectives on Australia’s decision to acquire nuclear-powered submarines.
“Commodore Phillips will provide his second annual ‘state-of-the union’ update about Australia’s submarine program and Chief Scientist Foley will speak about technology innovation and transition in Australia.”
The conference is Indo-Pacific’s leading forum on submarines.
To view the full conference program, to register to attend in-person in Adelaide or to access the live stream, visit the SIA website (www.submarineinstitute.com).
Defence West is the gold sponsor and Australian Defence Magazine is the official Media Partner of SubSTEC6.